This is a blog that contains: struggles, triumphs, crafts, recipes and stories to brighten your day and make you smile, laugh, and say well things aren't all that bad!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Everyone has a love story. This is mine

For our wedding, Mr. and I wrote out our story. The story of how we met our first dates and when we knew we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, from each of our own recollection. Mainly for posterity's sake, but there is something so neat about having a copy like a communal diary that we can look back on and share. For some reason in the car during my commute today I started thinking back.

I have become more and more convinced lately that marriage should be celebrated and cherished between the two people. I have seen friends whose marriages have already ended in divorce, which breaks my heart. I do not have sympathy but empathy for these people because Mr. and I have not been immune to struggle. Marriage is hard. But I have found it is easier when I celebrate the small stuff and remember the wonderful, simple things that can so easily be forgotten. I encourage you to write down your love story (and if you recruit your spouse you might be surprised at the different accounts you will get!)

This is part of what we wrote. It is the story of Mr.'s Proposal.


The day that changed my life (The proposal)…

Mr. ’s story: I had been trying to decide the best way to propose for a long time. Because I knew that if I couldn’t give her a big fancy ring I could at least give her a good story.  One of the things I came up with since we met through Uncle Reed was to propose at his house. The evening of we went over to have dinner and talk about wedding stuff and I was waiting for the opportune moment but it just hadn’t happened yet. Between stuff like where are we going to stay and how are we going to do this and that, it didn’t seem right to just get down on one knee and be like by the way! So then, we went to dinner at our favorite Chinese Restaurant and I was planning on doing it there in the restaurant. I thought it would be nice. And as the evening wore on I was trying to again find that perfect moment and once again it never quite came. The conversation towards the end of the meal turned towards unions and as we were talking it didn’t seem right to be like well unions and by the way! So in the car ride back home, I was thinking this isn’t quite turning out quite like I planned and it occurred to me that perhaps I should just man up and ask her. So as we walked in; both having had a little bit to drink. Cynthia being very tired at 10:30. I said “well” (as I have been known to do) and I got down on one knee. And while I don’t remember exactly what I asked It was something along the lines of, “Cynthia, you would make me very, very happy if you would say that you would spend the rest of your life with me.” And then I just waited. After what seemed like a short lifetime. I prompted her, “Please?” She replied “is this for real?” I said yes. She pondered a moment longer and said I quote “neheigh” (I took that as a yes).

Cynthia’s side: This night was not unlike every other Tuesday or Sunday or Friday night. We go over to Reed and Esther’s to eat and drink and talk a lot. I didn’t think anything of the fact that it took us 2 hours to get out the door and off to the restaurant. We were drinking wine what did it matter anyway. I don’t remember anything about Oceans that night but I remember being pretty enthralled with the union conversation because I didn’t know much about them. Then like any other night it was late and we were about to head home. This was signaled to me by Mr.’s heaving sigh as he said, “Well” and dug in his pocket for what I assumed were the keys to go. So I was stunned when he found himself on one knee. Esther snapped into action taking pictures and... I must stop here and say I have fantasized for 23 years about what the next moment was about to bring. I knew the magic words I wanted to hear and exactly what I was going to say. But I don’t remember what actually happened. I don’t know what he said because I was just looking at him there on his knee. It didn’t feel like I long time to me. It felt like everything was moving really fast. And in my head I said Yes! Although I guess it didn’t make it out of my mouth. 

No comments: